Wednesday, January 20, 2010

keeping it real


So, I've decided to try to blog more this year. I always start out the year not really making "resolutions" but just trying to gain perspective on what about my life I would like to change or eliminate or do more of. I actually do this relatively frequently throughout the year, but around the holidays it's always so hectic and I rarely focus on myself. So, with the holidays being over, I am reflecting on what is... and what isn't.

Here is what I've come up with. I would like to start doing more creative things with my time, spend more time outdoors, develop my photographic/editing skills, spend more time with my Mom, and spend more time doing creative things with my girls. Also, spend less time in front of the t.v. and of course/ as always, focus on being debt free.

So, I started by canceling my digital cable and home phone, saving about $110/month. This helps with the "not spending so much time in front of the t.v." and the "focus on being debt free" categories. I did make a lovely floral centerpiece for my table, (pictured above) but that took all of 30 minutes. So, I am on to finding the next creative project to occupy my time.

I am also planning on starting to walk in the evenings. It's hard because Gregg is gone to Chicago for 6 months, and I hate leaving the girls in the house alone, even if it is just for a 45 minute walk around the neighborhood. But, I am not going to make excuses, and I am going to find a way to make it happen.

So, I will keep updating my blog as life takes its course . . . and hopefully I will become a happier and healthier person this year, for myself, and for my family.

UPDATE 2/1/2010: I solved the "not leaving the girls home alone to go walking every night" problem. I bought a treadmill! Now, you are thinking "Great, well doesn't that blow her trying to save money to become debt free goal?!". NOPE, it doesn't. Bought it on Craigslist, for cash, for a screaming deal! Yay - that is what you call "killing two birds with one stone" !
(Wow, now that i read that saying it sounds pretty graphic, why would anyone want to kill one bird with one stone let alone two birds with one stone?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment